An image says more than a thousand words. A great image can stir emotion, communicate a message, or capture a moment, otherwise lost to history. In science, it can also help us to reveal various aspects of our scientific work and inform of scientific findings. In the end, images are the backbones of visualization. Therefore, we are proud to reintroduce the VCBM image contest for the upcoming 9th EG Workshop on Visual Computing for Biology and Medicine in Brno, Czech Republic.
Images in biology and medicine are extremely versatile, ranging from microscopic photography to information graphs. Therefore, the VCBM image contest is open to various kinds of image submissions related to computational biology and medicine, meaning that visualizations, photorealistic and non-photorealistic rendering, educational illustrations, as well as hand drawn illustrations are welcome. Each participant is allowed to submit up to three images, and at least one of the image authors needs to attend VCBM in person. We reserve the right to reject submissions, if they are deemed to be inappropriate or out of scope. The winners will be selected based on three criteria: aesthetics, ability to communicate information content, and application relevance.
An international jury will evaluate each submission in terms of their merits. Successful entries will be ranked based on the three criteria mentioned above. The best-ranked submission will receive the VCBM Image Award.
In addition, the jury will select one image of each participant for public display. Each of these will enter the People’s Choice Award competition. The People’s Choice winner will be determined by votes of all workshop participants. The voting system will be revealed during the workshop.
All winners will receive great honor within the scientific community and will receive a price. The nature of the prize is a secret at the moment but will be disclosed during the workshop.
Submissions can be made via e-mail to the VCBM image contest chairs Sergej Stoppel (Sergej.Stoppel@uib.no) or Noeska Smit (Noeska.Smit@uib.no). Each participant can submit up to three images. Submitted images must be high resolution (at least 300 dpi), .jpg or .png images and should not exceed 20MB.
Each submitted image must be accompanied by:
- Image Title (max 10 words): e.g., PelVis
- Image Caption (max 60 words): e.g., PelVis is an interactive application for surgical planning for the Total Mesorectal Excision procedure. We built an atlas model, the Virtual Surgical Pelvis (VSP), that reveals zones in which the autonomic nerves reside which are not visible in MRI scans. In the PelVis application, we register this atlas to patient-specific clinical MRI data to make patient-specific virtual models.
- Background Information for the Jury (max 250 words): Explain how the image was obtained why it is relevant for VCBM. Feel free to provide any additional information that comes to your mind.
The image file name should follow the following format Last name, underscore, First name, underscore, Image Title, e.g., Jane_Doe_PelVis.jpg
The image caption will be used during a display during the workshop and should give the audience any relevant information about the image, its story, location, subject presented etc.
Submissions will be closed on August 23, 2019 at 23:59 (CET). The winners will be announced during a reserved session at the end of the VCBM workshop.
By submitting, contest participants confirm:
- they are the creators of the submitted images and own all the rights to the images,
- they agree that VCBM is not responsible for any infringements of copyrights by third parties,
- they agree that VCBM can use the submitted images with a clear reference to the originator, to promote the conference, without financial compensation of the participants. The creator of the image retains full ownership and the copyright of each entry.