Work presented at the Eurographics Workshop on Visual Computing for Biology and Medicine (EG VCBM) should reflect the state of the art in visual computing and its applications in biology and medicine. VCBM’s scope encompasses all aspects of visual computing research, technological development, and practices in medicine and life sciences. Relevant topics include both the acquisition, processing, visualization and interpretation of image data in biology and medicine, and the visual analysis and communication of life science data.
Submissions types for VCBM 2023
Submissions for this year’s meeting include original papers (full and short) survey papers, and tutorial sessions. Please see previous EG VCBM’s proceedings for examples of published papers. We encourage authors to provide supporting information in the form of videos and other media. The deadline for submissions is 7th July 2023.
Papers (full & short) should describe original, application-oriented research that advances the fusion of visual computing methods within medicine and biology. Accepted work will focus on a well-defined biological or medical problem, and demonstrate significant innovation or improvement in visual computing.
Surveys are long-form submissions addressing new and emerging topics in visual computing and biology and medicine.
Tutorials are didactic or hands-on sessions of 1 or 2 hours, delivered during the conference. They should enable participants to learn how to use new tools or techniques, or gain practical experience of domain specific data.
All aspects relating to the development, application and practices of visual computing in the life sciences are relevant to the meeting. These include:
- Visual computing solutions designed for use by medical, biomedical and biological practitioners, researchers and educators.
- The use of eXtended Reality (e.g., for surgical procedures, molecular visualization, rehabilitation, and therapy).
- Approaches for processing, visual analysis, and communication of data from new or challenging modalities (e.g., real-time ultrasound, CyTOF, Spectroscopy, layer fMRI, single-cell and spatial-omics, environmental monitoring).
- Visual computing approaches incorporating artificial intelligence (AI) and explainable AI.
- Visual computing solutions that support new approaches for modeling and simulation with application in medicine and biology.
- Workflows and processes leveraging visual computing to facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration in biology and medicine.
In addition to full-length papers, there will again be a short papers track and a survey track, encouraging scientific contributions from an even more diverse group of researchers and practitioners. All EG VCBM 2023 papers (full, short, and surveys) will be peer-reviewed and those accepted will appear in the Eurographics Digital Library.
We encourage the use of digital videos to support all submissions. Please use only the most common video codecs such as MP4 H.264 to maximize the chances that the reviewers can view it.
- Full Papers: We do not impose strict maximum lengths for submitted papers to the full papers track. However, it is unusual for papers to exceed 10 pages (in CGF LaTeX style including all images and references). Papers should only be as long as their content would justify. Reviewers might rate a submission lower if it is perceived as being unnecessarily long or might recommend it for a short paper, instead. Authors are encouraged to use supplementary material, such as videos or executable programs to provide extra content. Authors may choose to anonymize their submission, but this is not required. We cordially invite all authors to enrich their contributions by submitting extended and significantly revised versions of their papers to an exclusive Computers and Graphics (C&G) Special Section.
- Short Papers: Short papers describe a more focused and concise research contribution and are likely to have a smaller – yet significant – scope of contribution. Potential examples include the presentation of initial results from novel ongoing research projects or the exploration of new application areas. Short papers draw from the same list of topics as full papers. Their length is limited to a total of 5 pages (in CGF LaTeX style including all images and references). Authors may choose to anonymize their submission, but this is not required.
- Surveys: We do not impose strict maximum lengths for submitted papers to the survey track. However, it is unusual for surveys to exceed 20 pages (in CGF LaTeX style including all images and references). Authors are encouraged to use supplementary material, such as videos, to provide extra content. Authors may choose to anonymize their submission, but this is not required.
- Tutorials: A brief description of the topic, an outline of the contents of the tutorial as well as a request for duration (e.g., one/two hours). Maximum one page excluding references. Authors may not anonymize their submission.
EG VCBM 2023 will also feature a poster and an image contest program, the details of which will be announced in a separate call.
Papers can be submitted using the Eurographics SRM conference management system.
- EXTENDED Paper submission deadline (full, short, survey papers, and tutorials): July 12, 2023
- Author notification: August 11, 2023
- Camera-ready deadline: August 25, 2023
- Workshop: September 20 – September 22, 2023
All deadlines are at 23:59 CET (UTC+1).
the Full Paper Co-Chairs of EG VCBM 2023,
- Christian Hansen (University of Magdeburg Germany)
- James Procter (University of Dundee, United Kingdom)
- Renata Raidou (TU Wien, Austria)
together with the Short Paper Co-Chairs of EG VCBM 2023,